The Protocol Admin is an account with exclusive access to specific functions of the protocol. More concretely, the Admin is a collection of multisig wallets currently in control of Sablier Labs, which have the following permissions on each chain where Sablier is deployed:
|Claim Protocol Revenues1|
|Set NFT Descriptor|
|Set Flash Fee|
|Set Protocol Fee|
|Toggle Flash Asset|
The Comptroller is a special contract that holds configuration parameters. To learn more about the Comptroller, see its reference.
While the Comptroller holds configuration parameters for flash loaning, no Sablier contract currently implements this feature.
Here are the multisig addresses that are currently administering the Sablier Protocol:
Despite having an admin, the Sablier Protocol remains trustless. This is because:
- The protocol is permissionless, i.e. it can be freely accessed by anyone with an Internet connection.
- The protocol is persistent, i.e. the admin cannot pause it.
- The streaming logic is non-upgradeable, i.e. the admin cannot tamper with the streams created by users.
- There are no escape hatches that allow the admin to claim user funds.
- There is a hard-coded upper limit of 10% to the fees that the admin can charge.
As a startup, Sablier has to deal with uncertainty regarding:
- Protocol-market fit
- Smart contract security
Attaining success in these areas is no easy feat, and as such, decentralizing the protocol's governance will not be an initial priority.
Nonetheless, we believe that progressive decentralization is the most effective approach to scaling a smart contract protocol. As the protocol matures, we will decentralize its governance incrementally.