The Protocol Admin is an account with exclusive access to specific functions of the protocol. More concretely, the Admin is a collection of multisig wallets currently in control of Sablier Labs, which have the following permissions on each chain where Sablier is deployed:
|Claim Protocol Revenues1
|Set NFT Descriptor
|Set Protocol Fee
The Comptroller is a special contract that holds configuration parameters. To learn more about the Comptroller, see its reference.
While the Comptroller holds configuration parameters for fees, no Sablier contract charges users at the moment. You can read more about fees here.
Here are the addresses that are currently administering the Sablier Protocol. Most of them are Safe multi-signature wallets.
Despite having an admin, the Sablier Protocol remains trustless. Here are the reasons why:
- The protocol is permissionless, i.e. it can be freely accessed by anyone with an Internet connection.
- The protocol is persistent, i.e. the admin cannot pause it.
- The streaming logic is non-upgradeable, i.e. the admin cannot tamper with the streams created by users.
- There are no escape hatches that allow the admin to claim user funds.
- There is a hard-coded upper limit of 10% to the fees that the admin can charge.
The parameter changes that can be effected are NOT subject to a timelock. This means that the admin can execute any of the functions listed above at any time.
However, you should note that the fees would only be charged on new streams. The admin cannot retroactively charge fees on existing streams. The streams you have already created will remain free of charge, forever.
As a startup, Sablier has to deal with uncertainty regarding:
- Protocol-market fit
- Smart contract security
Attaining success in these areas is no easy feat, and as such, decentralizing the protocol's governance will not be an initial priority.
Nonetheless, we believe that progressive decentralization is the most effective approach to scaling a smart contract protocol. As the protocol matures, we will decentralize its governance incrementally.